What to Donate to Troops? Military Service members and veterans deserve the respect from the normal public as they serve the country and guard the security and freedom of the people by putting their lives at risk. Earlier you could send a care package to the service members but now due to security and many other mail limitations it is not possible. In addition to that even the letters addressed to “Any Service Member” or “Any Wounded Soldier” are not delivered.
So it is better to donate to charities which help the troops and their families. Now the question arises of what to donate to the troops. Here are some web sites provided giving a list of what gifts what to the troops if you donate. Just go through the list and decide what to donate to the troops.
Donate to Troops
Gifts, cards, care Packages:
- The Billy Blanks Foundation: This foundation not only sends care packages to the service members in Iraq and Afghanistan but also gives scholarships and supports after school programs for their families.
- Adopt a Platoon
- Any Soldier
- Army and Air Force Exchange Services
- Blue Star Mothers
- Books for Soldiers: If you want to donate books or movies.
- Cell Phones for Soldiers
- Commissary Gift Certificates
- A Million Thanks
- Operation Air Conditioner : If you want to donate to provide air conditioners and heaters to the soldiers.
- Operaton Dear Abbey
- Operation Give : gives toys to children in Iraq
- Operation Gratitude
- Operation Homefront Hugs: You can adopt a service member.
- Operation Troop Aid
- Operation Uplink: gives a calling card to the troops to talk to their families.
- Operation USO Care Package
- Treats for Troops
Health Care and Recovery Organizations:
American Red Cross Armed Forces, Angels of Mercy or No Soldier Left in Need, Armed Services Blood Program, Blinded Veterans Association, CAUSE: Comfort for America’s Uniformed Services Elite, Fisher House, VA Voluntary Service, The Walter Reed Society, USO are all working on helping the wounded service members or veterans or their family members to get good health care. These services create a sense of caring to the troops even if they have left the military. You can donate to these services to support the troops and their families undergoing treatments for various ailments.
Scholarships, Education and Rehabilitation:
The Billy Blanks Foundation, Freedom Alliance, Operation One Family, Operation Purple, Sacred Heart Lodge, Soldiers’ Angels provide change over services, scholarships and other training programs for the service members and their families after they have left the military and help them to mix easily with the common world. Sacred Heart Lodge provides a free holiday package to the troops to spend quality time with their families. You can donate to any of these causes and help the troops.
Counseling and Relief Organizations:
There are charity organizations which focus on counseling, providing financial support, providing emergency services and housing to the service members, veterans and their families. Here is a list of such organizations.
- Air Force Aid Society
- American Legion
- The Armed Forces Foundation
- Armed Forces Relief Trust
- Armed Services YMCA
- Army Emergency Relief
- Coast Guard Mutual Assistance
- Enduring Freedom K.I.A. Fund
- Fallen Patriot Fund
- Freedom Calls Foundation
- Freedom Fund
- Global War on Terrorism Veterans In Need
- The Home Front Cares
- Homes for Our Troops
- Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund
- Military Pets Foster Project
- Navy/Marine Relief Society
- Operation Child Care
- Operation Hero Miles
- Special Operations Warrior Foundation
- Yellow Ribbon America
- Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Veterans and Families
- The Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors
Some of these foundations provide help to veterans creating a feeling that they are still remembered and honored. Some help the survivors of a tragedy convincing them that they are cared. Select the foundation which best suits your favorite cause and donate to that and help them provide the rehabilitation the service members need.
When you give a gift, a Thank You message, it shows that their services are valued and the service members feel satisfied that their deeds are respected by the public. They leave their families behind and live in a place of terror with only a hope of returning home safe and sound. But they never care.
This itself deserves a lot of appreciation from the public. To make them feel special it is the duty of the common man to help the families of the service members. Don’t sit back and think what to donate to troops but show your gratitude by acting immediately in choosing a foundation and donate to help not only the troops but also their families and veterans who served the country.
[source image: buttermaidbakery.com